Monday, March 24, 2008

São Paulo, part 2

Another thing that happened in São Paulo is that when we were in the mall (definetly bigger -and possibly nicer- than any mall I´ve been to before coming to Brasil); as we were walking down from the bookstore (I ended up buying Wuthering Heights, which turned out to be a pretty good book, but kinda bizzare at the same time, lol.) and we were on the stairs when the power went out... And it was immediately like the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere with no moon. So naturally, people started screaming unnatuarally. In retrospect, I´m quite glad that I studied postmillenialism for my senior thesis because if i hadn´t I might´ve thought it was the end of the world or the rapture and i was "left behind" or something... Anyway, It was pitch black dark. And I have to admit, somewhat sheepishly, that my first instinct was PANIC. My next was, "I want my Dad!!" And then soon after, I was finding it incredibly ironic that I had just read about the plauges in Egypt, in Exodus that morning... I guess God thought I needed a real-life demonstartion of what the ninth plauge would have been like for those not in Goshen. Not really sure. Anyway, I ended up reaching for minya Mãe ( my host mom) and minya irma (my host sister), Flahvia and we just sort of stood there on the stairs laughing nervously until some emergency lights made their dramaic, fashionably late apperance like 10 minutes later. So yeah, it was a memorable experience, to say the least. :)

PS: I later attributed the screming to a group of silly middle school girls who apparently thought that making such horrifying squeals was the wisest course of action at the time... idiots... (lol);)

No comments: